Labels

Bread (7) Buns (1) Cheese (1) Christmas (7) Comfort (8) Cookies (7) Crock Pot (1) Dessert (13) Easy (13) Entrees (4) Fast (9) Fruit (7) Healthy (3) Italian (4) Muffins (4) Not-so-healthy (8) Pastry (2) Pub food (1) Pumpkin (2) Savoury (1) Scones (2) Slow Cooker (1) Soup (3)

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Original recipe found here (Home is where the Holmans are), and many thanks!  This worked really well in my dutch oven. Again, my reason for re-posting is to ensure the recipe is never lost to me.

Photo of the finished soup found with my biscuit recipe here.  This is a wonderful spicy soup that doesn't really need a recipe unless you're like me and you can't cook worth anything.  Even I was able to modify based on what I had in my pantry and voila - tasty and cozy goodness!


  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 2 skinless chicken breasts (I used equivalent in tenderloin strips)
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ancho chili powder (I used regular chili powder)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Combine above and cook over medium heat (likely 20-25 minutes) until chicken is cooked through - then remove chicken, shred it, and set it aside. Add the following ingredients to the stock:

  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4-6 jalapeno peppers, minced (yes you'll probably want at least 4!)
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced


Simmer about half an hour until tomatoes are starting to fall apart. Add:


  • 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 8 oz cotija cheese and 8 oz pepperjack cheese (I only had mozzarella and a bit of asiago, so make do with whatever you may have for cheese)


Put shredded chicken back into soup and cook 20 more minutes or until desired consistency.  If using a crock pot after the chicken is cooked, add everything but the chicken and cook on low at least 3 hours. Add the chicken back in a half hour before serving, and add:


  • 1 cup chopped cilantro


Enjoy with a bit of shredded cheese on top and baked biscuits on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment