Labels

Bread (7) Buns (1) Cheese (1) Christmas (7) Comfort (8) Cookies (7) Crock Pot (1) Dessert (13) Easy (13) Entrees (4) Fast (9) Fruit (7) Healthy (3) Italian (4) Muffins (4) Not-so-healthy (8) Pastry (2) Pub food (1) Pumpkin (2) Savoury (1) Scones (2) Slow Cooker (1) Soup (3)

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pierogi Pizza


If you've ever had "pierogi pizza" at Boston Pizza, you have experienced a wonderful thing.  One day I decided to make it myself.  I found someone else here who first tried, and I am thankful for their efforts!  I have adjusted the amounts to what I found worked best for me.

Original recipe for the pizza dough here. It is super easy - no-rise, not thin-crust. I have adjusted mine to be partially whole wheat and it still gets devoured.

Dough:


  • 1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 c warm water
  • 2 1/2 c flour (I use 1 whole wheat and 1.5 all-purpose)
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (optional; I have not tried this)
  • Cornmeal for pizza stone



Topping for 1 large pizza:

  • 1-2 large russet potatoes (sliced thinly, peeled if you like but I don't mind a bit of potato peel strings on my pizza)
  • 2-3 tsp Cayenne Pepper (I increased this way up from the original because it needs to be spicy!)
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (grated)
  • 1/2 cup Medium Cheddar Cheese (grated)
  • 4 Bacon Slices (cooked and cut into pieces)
  • Sour Cream

Cook the potato slices in about 1-2 cups of water with the spices. This won't take nearly as long as cooking chunks of potatoes, so be careful not to overcook!  Cook with lid on maybe 10 minutes, then remove the lid to let the water burn off. Add a bit of vegetable oil if desired so the potatoes do not stick together and to the pan.  Be careful not to burn or cook the slices to mush! Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.

Spread a thin layer of sour cream on your pizza dough, and distribute the potato slices evenly (get close to the edge because when the dough rises you do end up with an empty crust around the edge, which I hate).  Sprinkle the pieces of bacon on top and then add cheese.  Simple.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until crust and cheese is golden.  Best to do this on parchment paper (on a pizza stone) spread with cornmeal. Garnish with dollops of sour cream and chopped green onions. Serve hot, or if you have to serve my husband, refrigerate and serve cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment