Labels

Bread (7) Buns (1) Cheese (1) Christmas (7) Comfort (8) Cookies (7) Crock Pot (1) Dessert (13) Easy (13) Entrees (4) Fast (9) Fruit (7) Healthy (3) Italian (4) Muffins (4) Not-so-healthy (8) Pastry (2) Pub food (1) Pumpkin (2) Savoury (1) Scones (2) Slow Cooker (1) Soup (3)

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Muffins

These muffins are healthy!  Yay!  This recipe is from skinnytaste.com, found here.  I recommend checking out her pictures, because I can't do these muffins justice.



I cut down the sugar even a tiny bit more and have found that it's best when using a very flavourful fruit for the puree - if using strawberries as suggested, make sure they're small and fresh... I wouldn't recommend frozen large ones that come in a package because they make the muffins a bit bland.  I also wouldn't recommend pureeing a blueberry and blackberry mix... because though the muffins will still taste great, they will look black and burnt!  My favourite rendition uses a tart applesauce, made in the crock pot from my in-laws' apples.


Mix together:

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
In another bowl, mix:
  • 1 1/2 cups pureed strawberries (from about 16 oz strawberries) --> or applesauce
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones, then add 1 cup of berries and fold them in. I recommend raspberries and blackberries - blueberries work too but I prefer the more tart taste of the others. 

Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes - toothpick test. Mini-muffin bake time can be shortened by a couple minutes.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment