Labels

Bread (7) Buns (1) Cheese (1) Christmas (7) Comfort (8) Cookies (7) Crock Pot (1) Dessert (13) Easy (13) Entrees (4) Fast (9) Fruit (7) Healthy (3) Italian (4) Muffins (4) Not-so-healthy (8) Pastry (2) Pub food (1) Pumpkin (2) Savoury (1) Scones (2) Slow Cooker (1) Soup (3)

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Banana Muffins


These are handed down from my mom, and I have no idea what book she may have originally grabbed these from.  The trick to moist, yummy banana muffins is really old bananas.  I let mine get so brown that you can't see a single bit of yellow left on them, and then I freeze them if I'm not going to use them right away.  It's easy to pull them out of the freezer and let them sit in the sink to thaw for anytime-banana-muffins.

Mix together:

  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup veg. oil (ie. canola)
Separately, combine:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • chocolate chips as desired (I usually add a big handful, 1/2 cup or so)
Crumble topping (this is heavenly but I am usually too lazy):
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp butter (tip: freeze the butter and then you can grate it so it's easier to mix in)
Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just moistened.  Spoon into a greased muffin tin.  Sprinkle the topping on each muffin and bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (if doing mini-muffins, I find about 15 minutes is enough).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment